Gender classification or Thoroughbred classifications:
a) Female horses:
· Broodmare is a female horse used for breeding purposes.
· Broodmare sire is a female horse whose female offspring became the producer of racehorses.
· A mare is a female horse, aged 5 and older, usually carrying less weight than its male competitors.
· A dam is the mother of a horse.
· A filly is a young female horse, aged 4 and under.
· A foal is a baby horse from the time it is born until January 1 of the next calendar year
· A yearling is a one –year old horse
b) Male horses:
· A colt is a young male horse, aged 4 and under.
· A gelding is a male horse that has been castrated
· A horse is a non-gelded male horse, aged 5 or older
· A sire is the father of a horse
· A stud is a male horse used for breeding